Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Heroes

I don't have too many heroes outside of my family and Jesus. I have never really been "star struck" by anyone, cared much about celebrities or sports personalities, or given a second thought to what the Princess is wearing across the pond.

My mom and dad are my foremost heroes. My dad for his fair and honest treatment of everyone, without regard for their appearance or social status or financial background. When my dad gave you his word, it was as good as gold. My mom is my hero because of her absolute faith in Jesus. I'm constantly amazed at her walk with the Lord and the example she has set for her children.

But aside from my mom, dad, and Jesus (who, of course, is my absolute hero), there is one other person who I regard as a "hero", and that is Mother Teresa.

If anyone can be said to have truly lived the words of Christ, I believe it was her. She was not a beautiful woman, outwardly. But she absolutely shined like a bright morning star with the beauty of Jesus. Her father died when she was only 8 years old, and she left home at age 18, never to see her mother or sister again. She was truly a child of God and no other. She gave over 45 years of her life to the poor, sick, orphaned, and dying--working hand in hand with people (in her words) "that have become a burden to the society and are shunned by everyone." Oh that we should ALL live out Christ's commands to such fullness!

I'll interrupt here to mention the task given to Compassion bloggers this month, which is to talk about which Bible verse inspires each of us to serve the children in the Compassion program. An odd segue, I know, but stick with me and I'll get back to the point...

The verse that inspires me to serve these precious children who have no voice in society is Matthew 5:14-16: "You are the light of the world--like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father."

Mother Teresa, to me, embodies the meaning of that verse of scripture. She was a light among the darkness, a living legacy of the call of Christ to walk among those in need and lift them up. Despite some criticisms of the ways in which she worked, I can imagine that when Mother Teresa entered heaven she was greeted by a Jesus who knew her well, having been served by her in countless soup kitchen lines, slums, streets, and orphanages. If anyone has stored up riches in heaven, I believe it is her.

Astonishingly enough, Mother Teresa was not without fault or doubt, which makes her even more amazing. She has been criticised with regards to the operation of some of her hospitals and charities (but then, it's easy to criticize someone doing the hard work when you aren't in the thick of things, isn't it?), and she expressed many moments of darkness where she felt alienated from Christ. In my mind, those heart-wrenching confessions of spiritual doubt lend an air of authenticity to her faith, and render her willingness to continue her work for Christ even more awe-inspiring.

In her Nobel Prize speech, Mother Teresa said with regards to poverty, "When I pick up a person from the street, hungry, I give him a plate of rice, a piece of bread, I have satisfied. I have removed that hunger. But a person that is shut out, that feels unwanted, unloved, terrified, the person that has been thrown out from society—that poverty is so hurtable [sic] and so much, and I find that very difficult."

Unwanted. Unloved. Is that the feeling the children of Compassion have before they are comforted by the distant arms of a sponsor? Before their parents enroll them in a Compassion center where they learn the love of a God who created them? That is the true poverty in our world. Christians are to be a light among the darkness. Are we too concerned about petty things happening in our own lives, on TV, in the news, on Facebook to be the light Jesus called us to be?

I fail, daily, to be the woman Jesus calls me to be. My soul cries for me to toss aside conventional society and serve compassionately and passionately for Him. Fear, temptation, pride tie me to my comfortable life, storing aside all my "riches" here on earth. Thank God for the love of Christ despite my failures, and for the honesty, faith, and sacrifices of my heroes to help light my own path through the darkness. My prayer is that others will see my meager light, will pick it up, and will light the path of these precious children as they seek the face of Christ through the dark night of poverty. Please consider sponsoring a child today.

 

5 comments:

  1. I love how you said "Thank God for the love of Christ despite my failures"....that is so true!! Good thing we have such a gracious and loving God who saved us despite ourselves! And thanks for faithfully advocating for these kids through Compassion!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Christ is so compassionate to us, and we are so far from perfect examples. But what is important is that we keep trying. As Mother Teresa said "we can't all do great things, but we can all do small things with great love!"

      Thank you for reading, and for your comment!

      Delete
  2. This is really beautiful and inspiring. Mother Teresa was such an amazing woman--but that was because she served an AMAZING God. I pray that my light will not be dampened by my own pride and worldly living, but that I will be able to let it live on, a light to all people who think there is only darkness.

    Really beautiful post. I love your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What precious, beautiful words to read as we begin Lent and prepare our hearts for the Resurrection.

    ReplyDelete